"Pilots, Man Your Planes!"   
                                         WWII U.S. Naval Aviation Collector's Guide                                                                              
 Navy Spits
      VCS-7 In Normandy

Above, from top to bottom:

LCDR William Denton, Jr., squadron CO

ENS Robert J. Adams

LT Robert F. Doyle and ENS John F. Mudge

LT Robert Calland

Ground crewmen James J. O'Connor, C. N. Pfanenstiel, C.A.M.M. V. G. Disa, A.M.M.3C R. P. Theirauld and Edmund Pachgio

All of VCS-7's Spitfires retained their original R.A.F. camouflage and national markings. Their squadron identification code was the number 4, followed by the individual aircraft letter. The invasion stripes were added on June 5th. It is reported that all the Spitfires in the Air Spotting Pool, including those of VCS-7, had clipped wings (removal of the standard elliptical wing tip) to better facilitate low-altitude maneuverability and utilized 35 gallon "slipper" auxiliary fuel tanks under the centerline to extend their flying range. 

Below:  In stark contrast to their high performance Spitfires, the squadron's bi-plane and mono-plane floatplanes awaited the pilots return after disbandment. 
ENS Robert J. Adams (seen above) was featured in a June, 2009 article in AEROPLANE magazine titled " Yanks Over Normandy" where he recalled the following about his time as a Spitfire pilot:

"In the pre-dawn hours of June 6, we crawled out of our bunks and went to the airfield. The Spitfires were loaded and made ready. Black-and-white stripes had been painted on the aircraft to identify them as Allied. Flying over the invasion fleet, I saw thousands of ships headed towards the French coast. I thought, 'I'm glad I'm in the air!' My first mission, to Treviers, had a communication center and there was an enemy spotter in the church steeple. He could see the invasion beaches. I took a few shots at the steeple, even though we weren't supposed to. After spotting for that target our big guns neutralized it.
My second target was Isigny. While flying through enemy anti-aircraft fire, my Spitfire, W3825, took a hit and began losing fuel rapidly. Knowing I could not make it back to England, I decided to bring the aircraft down on the beach. I radioed my wingman and headed toward Utah Beach. Seeing smooth sand, I waggled my wings to signal a friendly caller. It was a smooth landing and I had no trouble getting down. This made me the first Allied pilot to land in France on D-Day. The crews on the beach patched up the fuel line, gassed me up and back to England I went. I completed 13 missions from Lee-on Solent from June 6 through June 25. I was transferred back to USS Augusta, and on to the invasion of Southern France."