"Pilots, Man Your Planes!"   
                                         WWII U.S. Naval Aviation Collector's Guide                                                                              
LT (jg) Francis M. Fleming of VF-16, is all smiles after returning safely to the U.S.S. Lexington following a strike on Hollandia in May, 1944. Details of his goggles are clear, but unremarkable. By this time, the AN-6530s had steadily replaced many of the previously standard issue MK-II goggles in Navy and Marine use although they had been ubiquitous earlier in the war. Despite the growing supply and availability of rubber-framed flight goggles (with plastic lenses) in 1944 and 1945, the AN-6530s could still be seen in routine use throughout the end of the war.

Worth noting here is the use of ANB-H-1A "flat-sided" earphones in combination with the older style Telephonics rubber-covered cord. Certainly not typical, but other photos of VF-16 pilots taken on the same day show it was common practice for this squadron at the time. 

CONTINUED FROM PAGE 3:

The goggle headband assembly consisted of the 1" wide elastic band (gray, white or black), which was 20" in length, two clasps made from .063" diameter high carbon steel spring wire (to connect the band to the goggles) and the steel slide, for size adjustment. The strap's simple attachment method allowed it to be used with other goggles as well. Early examples of the strap can be found with darkened (possibly blued?) hardware, however, more common is the familiar silver finished wire and slide.




AN-6530 Goggles